The internet allows users to access loads of information from sources anywhere in the world any time. But a user is likely to encounter problems while making transactions online—blocked sites, spamming, hacking, etc. These are just a few of the many instances where VPNs and web proxies come in handy.
Benefits of Using Web Proxies
Web proxies act as an intermediary between a computer and the server. They allow computers to receive the data requested from a server through a port. If you are the user, connecting to a web proxy will allow you to open a web page, download music or images, etc. But this is not all that web proxies can do.
- Surf anonymously. When accessing a web page, the IP address and identity information of your computer are obtained and stored by the browser. A web proxy will hide your IP address, and show a false IP address to the browser.
- Access blocked sites. There are websites that block IP addresses from a location. Because a web proxy hides your real IP address, you will appear like a different user, and therefore will be able to access the site.
- Faster web browsing. Web proxies will cache each website you visit. If you will access those websites again, the web proxy will just retrieve the stored information.
Advantages of Using VPNs
A virtual private network or VPN is a secure private connection among computers in a network. This enables them to transmit information without getting intercepted by unauthorized users. VPNs can work like web proxies. They also have a lot of other uses, and they are as follows:
- Secure internet connection. You can do about your business without worrying about getting hacked. This is especially important if you have to send sensitive information or access your account through the internet.
- Remote access. If you are an employee or a business man, a VPN will allow you to access company portal or information, and do your work from a remote location.
- User verification. This allows your computer to verify identity of the source computer. This protects you from spamming, and from users who pretend to be someone they are not.
What Makes VPNs Better Than Web Proxies?
So why are VPNs better than web proxies? The answer is simple—VPNs have more functions than web proxies. Web proxies cannot guarantee your browsing security; you are still vulnerable to interception by users who intend to use your information maliciously.